COSCAP Licensing Policies
- COSCAP may refuse to grant a license to a User if such User has repeatedly failed to meet contractual obligations previously agreed with COSCAP.
- Persons signing contracts should provide photo identification
- A copy of all business incorporation certificates should be provided (except for well-known and established companies) for verification. In the case of business names then the contracts should be in the name of the individual
- Payments of over $5,000.00 should be presented in the form of a banker's draft. For payments between $2,000.00 and $5,000.00 by cheque these should be made no less than 10 days before the event.
- Licensees may be required to present a certificate from the Barbados Revenue Service which accounts for the number of attendees for the last time the event took place in order to provide an estimate of number of attendees in the licensing of the current event.
- Where the licensee has an outstanding balance for a prior event, this must first be reconciled prior to the issue of a new licence.
- No refunds will be granted in the absence of verification of attendance numbers from the VAT office or credible source.
- A credit note detailing the refund must be processed with a copy provided to client and an office copy.
- An administration fee of $10.00 shall be charged on all cancelled/refunded licences. Where an event has been cancelled the licensee should advise COSCAP within seven (7) days of the original date.
Adjustments (Annual Licences)
- It is recognised that especially in the case of hotels that these sometimes close for extended periods during the year. Where an annual licensee is closed for a minimum of 6 weeks they can apply for an adjustment to their licence fees to be made at the discretion of COSCAP.
Waivers & Discounts
- COSCAP’s policy concerning waivers is that these are except under exceptional circumstances determined by the Council of COSCAP, only granted to registered charities and other organisations in the circumstances referred to under the Barbados Copyright Act s122.
- Discounts may be made only to those organisations or individuals in good financial standing with COSCAP, for community/charitable activities to a maximum of 20% gross licensing fees for community organisations and 30% registered charities.
- Where a discount is applied for activities with charitable aims, full payment is required in advance and a refund of 20% will be paid after upon provision of confirmation by the recipients of the funds or in a form otherwise acceptable by COSCAP.
- Where a licence has been obtained in advance of music use a discount of 10% will be allowed at the point of sale. For single events the licence must be applied for no less than 10 days before the event takes place. The licensee must be in good-standing, that is, with no outstanding balances in order to benefit from the discount. Discounts do not apply to minimum fees.
- Promoters of events are offered a maximum total of 20% discount (including the 10% where a licence is obtained in advance of music use) on licence fees except where minimum fees apply subject to the following conditions, promoters:
- Must have a record of event promotion with COSCAP - at least one prior event
- Must have goodwill: no history of bounced cheques, no legal action – in this case the promoter will only have to pay a maximum deposit of 60%-75%, where the licensee has no prior history or goodwill with COSCAP.
- Must provide COSCAP with a copy of the VAT certificate for last prior licensed event where necessary for estimate of audience size and therefore licence fees
- Must submit running orders/playlists prior to settling of account
- Must submit VAT certificate within 90 days so that licence fees can be reconciled
The policy of COSCAP is that licence fees are paid on all tickets with the general exclusion of 2% of the total, which are treated as complimentary.
- Any payment plan must first be approved by the CEO and must be in writing and signed off on by the COSCAP representative and the licensee.
- The grant of a payment plan may be subject to the payment of interest.
COSCAP offers special general rates for official activities of schools. However, the application of these rates is subject to the verification of event details.
- Fetes, pageants etc. $200.00 plus VAT
- Fairs & graduations $50.00 plus VAT
- Karaoke $60.00 plus VAT
For all-inclusive events where there are live performances, the lower of a licence value of $120.00 or 50% discount off the admission price will be applied.
For all-inclusive events where there are no live performances, the lower of a licence value of $80.00 or 50% discount off the admission price will be applied.